Many women of color feel as though they can’t do as much with their hair as white women, because their hair is often wiry and stays in place without blowing in the breeze. This could not be further from the truth, as there are countless hairstyles for black women that bring out their natural beauty and will increase their confidence tenfold.
As a woman of color, you may feel there are not as many options available to you, or that your hair will be stuck one way forever, but we are here to tell you there are tons of options out there that will cater to your style and bring out your beauty to shine your personality through. We are excited to share with you ten of the best gorgeous hairstyles for black women that will excite and amaze you, and hopefully get your brain churning with ideas for hairstyles that will truly make you shine.
We hope this article increases your confidence and invites you to explore new possibilities with your style. We understand the struggle of finding the right hairstyle, so we will show you ten of the most easily done styles. Let’s jump right in, so you can get started with your new hairstyles and improved quality of life.
Hairstyles for Black Women FAQ
1. What Type of Hair Do Black Women Have?
The reason many black women feel they cannot style their hair and feel limited compared to the flowing hair of caucasian people, is because black women have thick, curly, and notorious hair that is hard to style and maintain. The curls in black women’s’ hair can range anywhere from wavy to kinky coils, and most of the articles for hairstyles nowadays only offer those for people with straight hair. This often leaves women of color out.Luckily, there are plenty of hairstyles that look brilliant on black women so they don’t have to compromise and lose out on hairstyling techniques and options. You just need to learn how to style them in a way that looks good with your face shape and hair type.
2. How to Get the Ultimate Hairstyles for Black Women?
Achieving a look that works best for black women starts with looking at what matters most to you in terms of your hair. You should also take these ideas to your stylist, and work with them to fine-tune and do what it takes to achieve the best results with the desired look that will match your features and style.We cannot stress enough how valuable a good stylist is when it comes to making major hairstyle changes. If you don’t have a dedicated stylist now, make sure to look at the work of each person you’re considering, so you can get some sense of their abilities and work ethic. You want the best for your hair, and so do we.
3. What Is the Advantage of Short Hairstyles for Black Women?
Although some black women do, not everyone has hair that’s long enough to go down to their waist. Shorter hairstyles for black women can give the wearer a new powerful look. Black hair tends to recoil within itself, which gives the illusion of short hair, when in reality the length of the hair is longer than it seems. Regardless of whether your hair is naturally short or if you get it cut short regularly, you should definitely try out some short hairstyles for a fun new change.
4. What Is the Advantage of Natural Hairstyles for Black Women?
More and more women are choosing not to manipulate their hair using chemicals and heat treatments. While these may make your hair look better and give you what you need in a hairstyle, chemicals and heat are harmful to the hair, and can cause complications. In the worst-case scenarios, they can cause your hair to fall out completely. The natural hair movement has been on the rise over recent years, and so many black women on and off the screens are deciding to rock their natural hair. You should embrace your naturally beautiful hair, and let it be itself with no chemicals or dyes.
How We Reviewed
Our team spent much time and effort researching different hairstyles for black women to bring you this unbiased best-of top ten list, featuring only the very best hairstyles for women of color that will look amazing on any age, hair type, and face shape. We reviewed:
- Long Curls
- Short Curls
- Box Braids
- Marcel Waves
- Shaggy Bob
- Bold and Colorful
- French Braids
- Very Long and Straight
Wavy hair that’s long, gives you that curly look without losing so much length or getting too voluminous. A curl defining styling lotion or spray helps curls look more pronounced, and tames frizziness when it’s extra humid outside. These are a romantic and fabulous touch to your hairstyles for black women choices.
- You can do beautiful updos
- You can clip in colorful extensions for added fun
- There are many hairstyle options for long curls
- May get in your way during work and play
- Can get hot in the summer
- May feel suffocating on the head and shoulders
Curly hair is beautiful, but longer curls can be difficult to deal with, and feel heavy or suffocating on the head and shoulders. The short curls look is proof that boyish hairstyles for black women are a cute and fashionable solution.
- Light and airy hairstyle
- Easy to manage
- Does not get in the way
- Cute, fashionable, and easily customizable to fit the personality of the wearer
- May look boyish depending on the cut
- May not look good with all hair types
- May not look good with all face/head shapes
Also known as Ghana braids, this look has been worn by black women for centuries by now. If you have long hair or natural hair, you can always get box braids done, and they will always look amazing. They’d fallen out of popularity a while back, but have since made a comeback the past few years, and it’s time to join in the trend.
- Easy to accomplish
- Great for all hair types
- Low maintenance
- Iconic look
- Not original (many black women all over the world wear this style)
- Might be hard to wash in the shower
- Braids can suffocate the hair and not allow it to naturally breathe
- Best for longer hair
This hairstyle for black women resembles beautifully layered loops of curls that go from the crown of the head to elegantly rest against the neck. Although this is best for shorter hair, it can also be worn as a long style, and is great for if you are trying to grow out your hair. This is from the olden days, but we hope this look makes a comeback, because it’s timeless and classic.
- Elegant, classic look
- Easily manageable
- Light and airy in the summer
- Can be worn for long and short styles
- Unoriginal (this look has been around for centuries, and people all over the world wear it)
- Might be better for older women rather than younger
- Better for short hair than long
This look comes from lots of small layers to create a stunning effect. This look is great for people of all ages and is elegant and easy-to-achieve. It’s highly customizable and messily cute, so no matter how you wear it, it will look great. This truly is a great hairstyle that will look good on anyone.
- Cute, messy look that is highly customizable
- Can be worn long or short
- You can change this one to fit your needs and your style however you want it to look
- May appear too unkempt
- More ideal for thick hair
- Requires many choppy layers
Bold and Colorful
This type of look is not only beautiful on black hair, but is also able to be worn in any way. You can highlight long hair a striking blue or red color, you can put in lowlights, you can wear a wig if you don’t feel like processing at the hair salon, you can wear it as a bob, as short boyish hair – any way you want, and the best part is that the look will represent who you are, and bring your inner beauty out.
- Colored styles look great on black hair
- Highly customizable
- Great for showing off your personality
- Gives a bold but flattering look
- Processing and constant coloring can damage the hair
- You need to find a color that looks good on you
Not only are these hairstyles for black women fun, but you can get a lot of designs in it if you want to really bring out your personality. For the best undercut, make sure to be clear just how much you’re willing to lose in length, and how far up your head you want the cut to go. You will lose a lot of hair with this one, so make sure it’s what you want.
- Different, unique, and eye-catching
- You can get designs in the closely shaven part
- Cute, funky look that is highly customizable
- You will lose a lot of length with this hairstyle
- It can be easy for an unskilled stylist to mess up
- Not for long hair
This beauty basic allows your natural hair to shine through and trust us, you’ll feel most like yourself when you are rocking the perfect ‘fro for your style. Some say this look is hard to manage even with all the right conditioners and care, but the simple matter is that this lovely look will work best on those with finer hair. If you have coarse hair, a relaxer will make your afro shine.
- Afros grow naturally
- No chemicals, treatments, or dyes in your hair for this look
- Letting your natural beauty out
- Can be difficult for coarse hair to grow an afro
- Might be hard for some people to manage
If you have long hair, this is an excellent way to keep it under control during exercises or work. These braids are pretty and eye-catching as well; the longer and thicker your hair, the better they look. You can use hair gems or other accessories to add some extra fun to your look.
- Beautiful, elegant and eye-catching
- Highly customizable
- Great way to keep hair away from face, neck, and back during work or play
- You can add hair gems or accessories for added fun
- Braids suffocate hair
- Not for thin hair
Very Long and Straight
This look is easy to achieve with a high-quality weave. Using real Remy human hair will offer long-lasting results, and you can do a lot with smooth straight hair, so your options are plentiful after putting in your weave. There are so many artistic and beautiful ways to manage it, and you can do things like a large faux hawk braid that is eye-catching and beautiful.
- You have the most options with long straight hair
- You can add extensions for bold and colorful options without committing
- You have the option to do beautiful updos
- You need to have a plan to keep it manageable
- It can get in your way during work or play
- You’ll have to use damaging chemicals or heat treatments to get your hair straight without extensions
Women of color who are reading this, we want you to know that you are beautiful in your own way, and there are countless amazing things you can do with your hair. Choose your favorite from our list, and collaborate with your hairdresser to come up with a fine-tuned way to rock the best hairstyle for black women that will cater to your personality.